Wednesday, August 15, 2012

BibleWorks Review: How-to Videos

I was so excited when BibleWorks shipped out their software. I checked the tracking page every day, wanting to see where BibleWorks was on the route. When I received it, I immediately loaded it onto my computer. After it was loaded, I eagerly ran the program, expecting dazzling colors and bright lights. What I saw brought me down a bit from my high. Let me warn you, BibleWorks will not win any awards for aesthetics (see the screenshot at the end of the post). So don’t expect it.

I next started doing what I usually do when I get new software; I just start clicking things, trying to figure it out myself. With BibleWorks, this isn’t such a great idea. I wasn’t finding things easily and quickly became bored and exited the program. I didn’t really come back to it until a month or so later, and that was only because I needed to write the review.

The first thing I needed to do for the review was watch BibleWorks’ how-to videos, which proved for me to be one of the most valuable things BibleWorks offers. At the time, however, it wasn’t   something I exactly excited about. It didn’t help that the narrator has a very even, almost monotone voice. The introduction how-to videos were very basic, describing what each of the windows contain. I ended up skipping through most of those, but I did like how they covered every possible base. So though I didn’t need them for the most part, they would be great for someone who doesn’t know computers. 

There was one introduction video I did really learn from. It was the how-to video on the command bar, which I had thought was a simple search utility. It actually is the easier way you can operate the whole system; all you need to do is type the right codes in. This was when I slowly started realizing the importance of these videos as I would not have just figured out the command bar on my own.   
After I got through the introduction how-to videos, I started watching some that I really did need to see. I was taught how to use all the different options to read the text, how to use the many function of the analysis window, how to quickly search for Greek/Hebrew words, etc.  and then how to do more of the complex things like diagramming, reviewing vocabulary by frequency of occurrence, searching with the Graphic Search Engine (which I will review later), the list goes on. There seems to be a video for every component BibleWorks has!

As I viewed these more complex videos, I realized it was almost impossible to utilize BibleWorks without their aid. Yes, the narrator’s voice was a bit monotone, but he spoke clearly and explained the complicated features in a simple way so that anyone would be able to understand. What’s even better, BibleWorks includes all of these how-to videos in the base package, free of charge. 

This all goes back to the philosophy of BibleWorks. They do everything they can to pack features in while keeping costs down. They may not have the snazziest looking interface, but what's under the hood is what's important, which I am learning is something BibleWorks seems to take to heart.

2 comments:

  1. Even if the product is amazing, I will not buy a product that refuses to get into the 21st century and offer a windows version only. They had a great product, but Accordance is just as good, and Logos offers a way better library. I love Bible works for the price, but the question isn't a matter of cost to make a mac version, it is a matter of either pride or incredulity on their part. If I ran the company I'd put the offer out there via website, facebook, snail mail, twitter, etc. and say if every person would promise (and put down 25 bucks as a deposit) to buy a MacVersion of Bible works (with all the same features) by a certain day (with the hope of reaching xyz amount of dollars) than they would do it. But they are Windows cult followers, worse than those in the Cult of Mac and I wouldn't spend a buck there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak to what is good for Macs nor BibleWorks stance on Macs. I have heard good things though about Accordance for Mac, as it seems you have too. It is probably unnecessary to start name-calling on an insignificant issue like this though.

      Delete